Monday, October 27, 2014

Zambombazo!- Great Resource for Spanish Teachers

I just spent a lot of time navigating Zachary Jone's blog  that you can check out here:
http://zachary-jones.com/zambombazo/
All I can say is... wow.
This blog has everything a beginning Spanish teacher could think of. There are specific examples of activities for units around current themes. For example there are activities centering around Halloween, since that is coming up this week. Also, there are links to possible purchases that teachers would want to make, like a book that when students conjugate the verb right, it makes a picture. He also has a ton of different tabs that link to music, videos, comics, art, internet resources, etc.

I think the strongest part of this blog is the resources that he provides for fellow Spanish teachers. This blog provides an excellent source for finding funny videos or comics in Spanish for our students. For example he has a comic that shows the difference between Castanyada and Halloween. After he provides the comic, he also analyzes it, and gives possible activities to use after the students have read it. He also provides more links to videos that will share more information about Castanyada. This is an excellent resource because not only is he providing a cool comic to show in class, but he also gives examples of how you can use it in a lesson. This is a great blog, to get fun activities to use for students.

Also, there is a tab that features possible units for the Spanish classroom. The units are divided into thematic and grammatical units. Under each division there are a ton of different topics that gives possible activities for each unit. For example if you click on the "El Tiempo" unit, it gives possible activities for students to do centered around learning about weather. Then below that it gives possible related units to weather. If that is not enough helpful information, he also provides links to possible units that you may be interested in. This is an extremely helpful portion of his blog because it gives a jumping off point for teachers to be able to look at his themes and activities he would do along with them.

Overall, I think that Zachary's blog is something to aspire to. He has so many awesome resources on his page and he plans really cool relevant lessons. I will definitely use his blog for inspiration for my future lessons. He provides a lot of examples of YouTube videos that you can use in the classroom, which is really helpful because it is hard to find appropriate videos. I think every Spanish teacher should keep his blog in mind because if nothing else it can help spark a new idea for a fun activity.

7 comments:

  1. ¡Muchísimas gracias! Thank you very much for exploring our site, reflecting on how it can be used in the classroom and recommending it to others. We wish you much success in your teaching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Mr. Jones,

      I hope you don't mind me writing to you on someone else's blog. I haven't found another way to contact you other than Twitter, and I don't have an account. Since Ms. Clucht posted this, I've been exploring your site, and I have to say, I think it's an incredible resource! As Ms Clucht mentions, it's particularly great for beginning teachers. I love the way that many of your videos relate to specific parts of the curriculum (I just watched the short film about the woman who can't find her keys, which you can use for pretérito and for quehaceres), while using authentic language, for native-speaker audiences. This is great for exposing students to all different dialects of Spanish!

      How did you get started with your blog? Where do you find so many resources? What inspired you to start Doblado Doblado and Clozeline?

      -Noemí

      Delete
  2. Maestra Anna!

    Thank you for introducing me and your other readers to this Zambombazo site!

    What an insightful and engaging website full of rich content for Spanish teachers and learners alike. In my short jaunt through the site, I was particularly intrigued by the site's emphasis on cultural engagement and providing real glances into Spanish culture.

    Given that El Dia de Los Muertos is almost upon us, I was blessed to watch the music video "Fiesta para Los Muertos" by Alejandro + Maria Laura, which is on the Zambombazo site. It reminded me of my adventures in the streets and through El Centro de Merida, Mexico during this special day when I studied there for a semester.

    Resources such as this will help me greatly as I develop my Spanish teaching abilities.

    Muchisimas gracias por compartir,
    Jesse

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anna,
    I am so glad you found a blog that you like and find useful. I also found a blog that I like, and I'm excited to keep an eye on it. The blog I found was the NSTA blog (for science teachers), and I'm also excited to keep an eye on it for cool activities. Just browsing your blog though it is obvious that they have the students in mind. I love how colorful the pictures are, and that they draw from today's popular culture. This is definitely a difference between the Zambombazo and the NSTA blogs. The NSTA blog is not as colorful since it targets teachers and tends to be more professional. Although the NSTA has a lot of relevant resources, I now wish it was a little bit less serious and more fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anna,

    Thanks for the link - this looks like an awesome resource! I am loving all the musical cloze activities, doblado doblado, etc. These seem like great resources, some of which could even be used on sub days!

    Un saludo,

    Noemí

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anna,

    When I was browsing Edubloggers, I came across this one too and was overwhelmed by all of the resources. I ended up commenting on some other blogs, but I'm really pleased to see that you found this one useful, and shared it with everyone. In a quick glance, I didn't realize that there were actually whole units up on the site available! It is so amazing to uncover something like this, especially because we are just starting out, and the unfortunate reality is that we might end up in school districts where other teachers aren't necessarily willing to share their lessons. I also loved that this site was all in Spanish. It provides resources, not only for other teachers, but for students as well. Some of the other Spanish teacher blogs I looked at were written primarily in English. They still had a variety of useful resources, but I really like that this one is all in Spanish. Great find!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great discovery, Anna! I was thinking about a variation on the question that Noemi asked, which was why Mr. Jones would put in the kind of effort that creating and maintaining a blog like this? At the risk of stating the obvious, it seems to me that it embodies a spirit of generosity that is quite admirable. It also seems to speak to a certain spirit that teachers so often possess, one that may not have had an outlet in the pre-web days. In the same spirit that we're encouraging all of you to subject any web tool to the "what would this add, or help me do that I wouldn't otherwise be able to do, or do as vividly?" test regarding teaching and learning, it seems worth thinking about a parallel question in terms of self as professional.

    ReplyDelete